Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I should totally be in bed, But I wanted to post these pics of the kitchen. The dots all over are from dust in the air reflecting from the camera flash. We decided to add a black granite island to liven the counter up and not do the same stone all across the kitchen. Some people just thicken the bull nose or change the island stone's edging, but we bought our stone from a place that provides granite in prefab sizes with prefab edges, so if you want to pay the discount price you don't have as much say, but I thought we got a great deal.
This is one serious faucet. We wanted a high power sprayer and looked and looked. We chanced upon an all plumbing fixtures sale at the end of 2009. Cali had a new law that was going into effect in 2010 that outlawed the sale of any water faucet that contained some thing like any lead or something, so the General Plumbing depot where the contractors purchase their stuff was saleing stuff for real cheep. We got this for like nothing compared to the retail price and boy does it spray. At first I thought it was offensively large, but now that I've seen it work, I'm not taking it back.
So We wanted to do a basket weave back splash, but the first place we discovered the idea would have charged us an arm and a leg, and I'm not kidding. I found this tile that I wanted for the laundry room, then I asked the price. $125 a square foot. . . The room was only 63 square feet. wow. It is nice to know where the high end can land if you want it too. I found a basket weave at a local tile shop that worked, but didn't have the multi color small dots like I wanted. So I bought the Black dots and did what you ask. . . hot glued them to the basket weave mesh and made my own pattern. I thought it was pretty crafty.
We bought our stove half off from a guy off Craigslist. Seriously we get everything from craigslist. The only thing is it didn't work when we brought it home. Had to have a repair guy come out order some new parts and replace them, but still we walked away like bandits. It is dual fuel, gas on top for the range and electric for the oven. I can cook an onion with a cookie and not have the aroma's affect the others taste.
You can't really see the black shade chandelier well from this picture, but I was so excited when I found it at Home Depot, because it tied the coloring of the kitchen all together.
We have yet to bring the fridge out from storage where it has been sitting for the last year. Some day soon though.

I should hit the hay because some ward ladies are training for a half marathon and I've decided to tag along for the training, 6 am runs. I am out and back before Emerson knows I've been gone. I just haven't decided to do the run yet. . . maybe.

2 comments:

Justin said...

YOur house is beautiful and I am impressed that you guys are doing so much of it yourself. I am sure you will always have great pride and satisfaction as you clean and take care of it, hooray for you guys

Jenilee said...

I love the kitchen. I say this every time but you are seriously amazing. The basket weave tile looks so good. Such talent you have.